Online Virginia Network (OVN) protects records in accordance with our obligations as defined by applicable Virginia statutes, including, but not limited to, the Virginia Privacy Protection Act of 1976, the Virginia Freedom of Information Act, and by any applicable U.S. federal laws.
Links to other websites
Information we collect
The Internet domain and Internet address of the computer you are using.
Essential technical information
Identification of the page or service you are requesting, type of browser and operating system and the time and date of access.
Nonessential technical information
The Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our website.
When you send email, we collect your name, email address and the content of your email. When you complete online forms, we collect the data you choose to submit and confirm.
How information is collected and used
In general, users may visit the OVN website without being asked to share personal information. There are times, however, when personal information must be collected. There is no legal requirement for you to provide any information at our website. You should also be aware that it may be not be possible to complete business transactions using this Web site without this personal information. As an example, OVN may require your e-mail address in order to communicate with you. In providing information to OVN through this Web site, you are agreeing to make such information available so that it can meet its educational and business objectives.
The following clarifies how OVN may use personal information
Fulfilling a request
When requesting information or services, the information you provide will be used in order to satisfy that request. Information may be shared with a third-party to provide indirect support in fulfilling your request.
OVN routinely analyzes usage patterns on the website in order to better provide services to Internet users, primarily students, faculty and staff. As an example, we routinely collect Web pages access information, domain names where web pages are accessed, time of day, and the version of the browser used. This information is used to provide a better Web browsing experience for people who use of Web servers OVN maintains.
Use of “cookies”
This Web server makes use of “cookies.” A cookie is a small piece of information (or data) that the Web server may send in your Internet browser, which is usually stored on your computer. Cookies are designed to improve your Web browsing experience and to make the website more useful. However, you may choose to disable cookies from your Internet browser. This may affect website functionality for you.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)
- Refer to the DMCA Notices Page for more information.
- Pop up advertisement disclaimer
- The Pop-Up advertisements you may be seeing on the OVN home page are not coming from the OVN website.
- The advertisements are not generated by OVN, and OVN has not contracted with anyone for such advertisement services.
- Some Internet sites are programmed to create Pop-up windows when you exit them. When you visit the OVN website after surfing these websites, you may experience Pop-up windows on the screen.
- Also, some free ware programs that you may have installed on your system may cause these Pop-up windows. . These programs (for example: Music and File sharing) support themselves by agreeing to install advertising packages with their product. For more information see this article by wired.com
If you are experiencing this problem, you can help us track it by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org